Breakdown of the 2015 Illinois Crash Facts and Statistics Report
Every day, drivers travel hundreds of millions of miles on Illinois roads. With these many miles being driven on our roadways, one should expect that Illinois drivers are involved in a huge number of car crashes. In fact, in 2015 alone, there were 313,316 crashes involving motor vehicles in Illinois. Over 65,000 of those crashes left someone seriously injured, while over 900 crashes were fatal.
In May 2017, the Illinois Department of Transportation published the 2015 Illinois Crash Facts and Statistics report to better inform the motoring public about their odds of being in an accident.
Some important statistics from this report are highlighted below:
- Crashes involving speed accounted for 32.2 percent of overall crashes, 34.2 percent of fatal crashes, and 37 percent of injury crashes in 2015.
- 858 traffic crashes occurred per day in 2015
- Nearly 3 persons were killed per day in traffic crashes in 2015
- More than 10 persons were injured per hour in 2015
- 49 percent of the fatal crashes occurred during daylight hours
- 81.3 percent of the fatal crashes occurred on dry roadways
Statistics about impaired driving in Illinois
As you might expect, alcohol-related crashes make up a large number of Illinois vehicle crashes.
- In 2015, 255 fatal crashes involved alcohol
- There were 650 drivers killed in motor vehicle crashes in 2014. Of these drivers, 555 were tested, and 40.7 percent tested positive with a BAC of 0.01 or greater.
- 50 percent of fatal crashes involving alcohol occurred during the weekend (Fri-Sun).
Motorcycles and semi-tractor trailer accidents
Unfortunately, certain types of vehicles, like motorcycles and semi-tractor trailers, are much more likely to be involved in a fatal crash.
Motorcycle drivers were injured or killed at a disproportionately high rate. Just 1.1 percent of all crashes involved motorcycles; however, motorcycles were in 34.2 percent of fatal crashes.
Likewise, only 3.8 percent of crashes involved semi-tractor trailers. Yet, more than 8.8 percent of fatal crashes involve these large trucks.
Want more statistics? Check out these websites
If you are curious about other car crash statistics, check out the data published by IDOT and the NHTSA. Most important, make sure to eliminate as many distractions as you can when getting behind the wheel. Help us make our roads safer for each other and our kids.
Injuried in an Illinois car crash? Call us today
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car crash, our atorneys at Shannon Law Group, P.C. are ready to help. Call us today at (312) 578-9501 or toll-free at (886) 881-9980. You can also fill out our online contact form. One of our team members will be in touch with you shortly. A free, no obligation consultation is available as well.